The Ottawa Swing Dance Society's success comes from the energy and dedication of our exceptional team of volunteers. In exchange for you spending time helping us out with that dance you will receive Free admission.
Every little bit of help is appreciated, and here is a list of some of the ways you can contribute on an occasional or ongoing basis:
• set up (equipment, tables, flyers, etc.)
• teardown (equipment, tables, recycling, etc.)
• door shifts (greeting guests, selling admission and drinks)
• decorations (for special events)
• refreshment management (water & ice for the cooler)
If you'd like to help out, here's how:
1. Go to volunteer.swingottawa.ca
2. Login using your existing Facebook, Google or Microsoft account. The OSDS Volunteering webpage will load.
3. Review the current week's schedule. Shifts which are already taken will have a person's name on them. Shifts which are available will say Volunteer. Some shifts are reserved for the Exec.
4. If you see an available shift which you would like to sign up for, click the Volunteer button. Your name will be assigned to that spot and it will be securely held for you.
5. If you can no longer make the shift at some point later in the week, please log back in and click on your name. You will be asked if you want to cancel your shift, click yes to Confirm.
6. You will receive an alert email when the signup system is available, a confirmation email when you choose a shift, and a reminder email later in the week.7. Please sign-up by 5pm on any Friday you want to volunteer.
Hopefully, this will save you time and eliminate delays in confirming that you're signed up to volunteer.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Thanks for your help and swingouts!
Volunteer Schedule (Regular)
Set-up (2 people)
7:30 - 8:00
8:00 - 8:30
8:30 - 9:00
9:30 - 10:00
10:00 - 10:30
10:30 – 11:00
11:00 - 11:30
Tear-down (2 people)
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
Requesting Billeting / Need a place to stay:Post a request to the Ottawa Yahoo Group (see information under contact us) -OR- post to the Ottawa Swing Dance Society's Facebook Group. If its for a specific event, post your request to that Event's Facebook page.
Please note that we will certainly try to accommodate all the housing requests that we can but we may not be able to find space for everyone. For the best results, let us know as soon as possible if you can offer/need housing so we can find space for as many people as possible. Thanks.
The way we can ALL help an event`s success is by opening your home to traveling dancers!
This is a fun thing to do and it says a great deal about a city's state of friendliness by how much billeting is available. (Help keep Ottawa`s reputation for being a fun and very friendly scene.)
Many who have been to other cities will tell you that billeted housing can be a bonding experience and often helps to make an event a memorable one. You can end up making such close friendships and start building a whole network of friends from all over the place who want to host you for future events in other cities.
Part of the fun of a big workshop weekend is meeting and dancing with new people and friends from other scenes. Having a place to stay can mean the difference between someone attending or not and we`d like as many people to be able to enjoy Ottawa`s dance scene. It can also mean the difference between a good time and a great time! They are not expecting luxurious accommodations. What is expected is a place to sleep and a place to clean up.
If you are able to offer your home to HOST out of town dancers, please email
swingottawa (at) gmail (dot) com with the subject line "Hosting Offer".
Details to include in your email to the housing person:
• How many how many visitors can you accommodate?
• If you have parking available
• Do you own any pets? (If so, what kind).
• Anything else you feel someone should know
* Feel free to request particular people if you know they will be coming to the event.
(When a host makes a request generally it is honored. When a guest requests someone we ask first.)
We will gather information about who needs a place to stay and try to find a good fit. An introduction message is usually emailed to all hosts and guests the week before the event. Hosts and guests are welcome and encouraged to correspond with each other directly to get set up a place/time to meet, what to expect and what to bring. ie/ bring your own towels as I don't have many extras... I have a futon and blankets so sleeping bags aren't necessary... I have loads of carpeted floor space but you'll need to bring a sleeping bag or an air mattress etc.
We hope this sheds some light on billeted housing and what it entails. When the call goes out, I really hope that you all volunteer without hesitation. Don't make organizers sweat it out till the last minute, begging and pleading for space. Show them your support and make things simpler for them by signing up right away. Offer to host. It is a great way to get to know other dancers and is always good for your dancing karma!!!
Any questions? Email us and we'll try to answer as best we can.